Monday 7 January 2008

Goodbye India

During my final two weeks in India, I felt like one of the locals and it was a strange feeling leaving my house for the last time.

The teaching definitely became easier towards the end so a big thank you to everyone who e-mailed me with suggestions (I did not have to resort to your comments Crass Aussie – but thank you anyway!). My wonderful mother sent over some great materials which the children loved, the giant cannon and balloons went down a storm. It seems odd that I will never see the children again but they now have a new volunteer so I'm sure she is carrying on the good work. I was wondering what to write in my report before I left but when I look back on what I achieved, one of the most important things I gave to them was affection which some of the kids were so clearly lacking. A number of very violent children joined the class in the last week and it was difficult to control them but I think all they really needed was a bit of attention. The Christmas period was very quiet with only a handful turning up but it meant they did get a bit of extra tuition.

I did manage to get to Palolem for Christmas, it felt like a holiday and was good to get away from my workplace although I still find Christmas in the sun rather strange. The beachshack we rented was perfect and cost ten pounds between four of us so another Indian bargain. Sunrise on Boxing Day morning whilst out on a dolphin watch was a highlight and my Christmas dinner was a huge kingfish, the next best thing to roast turkey.

Goa is renown for its beach parties and New Year was great fun, I don't think they've heard of Heath and Safety here and the fireworks display slightly concerned me – I'm sure lighting them while holding them is a bad idea.

I also managed to attend a henna workshop so am now an expert in body art (almost) and the cooking class I'm hoping will encourage me to attempt a proper curry when I get home.

I'm not sure what I will remember most about my time in India, the crazy driving (our driver hit a motorbike then a couple of days later put the jeep in a ditch during my last week), the colourful clothes and jewelry, the spicy food, the despair of so many Indians living in poverty or the smiles on the faces of my lovely schoolchildren.

India has been an amazing experience and one I will never forget but now I'm looking forward to my time in Thailand and my next journey.



Everything in one place… All new Windows Live!

No comments: