Sunday 23 December 2007

Christmas in India

Well I'm not sure where to begin - a dead body on the beach, a drink with the Captain of the Indian Football team and an Indian wedding invitation. What an exciting couple of weeks it has been despite my injured ankle and having very little mobility. I am used to Indian time now but I still couldn't believe the police took 2 hours to turn up and recover the dead body on the beach. We thought nothing of another Indian falling asleep for a few hours and it was rather a shock to discover that he had actually stopped breathing.
My first sporting outing was not to a cricket match (they are all cricket mad) but to a football stadium where a local Goan team was up against one of the big clubs from Calcutta. I wasn't prepared for the English-type passion and after having bottles thrown at us for supporting the away team, we decided to move seats and keep quiet when they scored. It wasn't quite the same standard as the Premiership but we saw four goals and a red card. An entertaining afternoon out was completed with a drink with the national captain who doesn't quite have Beckham status in his country but we felt honoured anyway.
But I think the most exciting news was a wedding invite - I have always wanted to attend an Indian wedding but wish I hadn't mentioned that I was previously a wedding planner, I'm not sure what to expect when I turn up next Saturday. The ceremonies here are very different from England with sometimes thousands of guests - I must find something to wear.
Almost the whole camp of volunteers left last weekend so it has been a pretty quiet week with only a handful of us left. Saying goodbyes are never easy but it's something I will have to get used to during the year.
The children welcomed me back to work this week and we threw a Christmas party for them, Jingle Bells in the sun still doesn't work for me. I don't think I've ever seen such terror as when
Father Christmas arrived with sweets for the children, they were sobbing and couldn't get away fast enough from him, I don't think they've ever seen him before. The presents we had wrapped for them went down very well, just a few crayons and some sweets but you would have thought we had given them a thousand pounds each. Every day they bring a smile to my face and remind me how lucky I am.
I've also managed a bit of pampering this week with an amazing pedicure, head massage and manicure. I believe eyebrow threading originated in India so I gave that a go too, it made me forget I had been bitten to death by mosquitos the night before, I didn't realise I was that tasty.
I'm off to Palolem Beach tomorrow for Christmas so am looking forward to a glass of something under the palm trees to celebrate and hopefully a phonecall home to speak to my family.
I hope you all have a great Christmas and will update again before I depart for Thailand.
  
 


She said what? About who? Shameful celebrity quotes on Search Star!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,

how are you now at Palolem Beach
on christmas?

I am thinking of you.

Love, Britta